Sorry if I’m coming off a little angry today, but I am. I’m really peeved off right now. I am ticked! I was just thinking about all the people that don’t eat breakfast. That really gets my goat. I just don’t understand it. Oh sure, it’s early. You probably have a tummy ache. You spent all night dreaming about running through a field, and now you woke up with a case of the Mondays on a Friday and you don’t want to eat now. Poor thing. Well, get over it! Breakfast rules. My love of breakfast is a three-parter:
- It’s good for you. How many dieticians and people that are smart have to tell you that breakfast is good for your body, mind and metabolism? HOW MANY?
- WHY WOULD YOU MAKE A CHOICE TO SKIP A MEAL? I wish there were more meals in the day, because I need more excuses to eat. Sadly, Taco Bell’s “Fourth Meal” has yet to be accepted amongst nutrition experts and society in general. The idea of skipping an opportunity to fill my stomach with nibbles is blasphemous and brings me to tears.
- The variety and options in breakfast foods is exciting and limitless. Eggs! Pancakes! Pastries! Fruit! Eek!
Besides the nutritional advantages of breakfast, it’s also an excellent opportunity to flex your culinary muscles. Let’s start with some eggy flavas! One week gives you numerous opportunities to make a different egg dish each day. Just off the top of my head, here are some for each day of the week (links included!):
- Fried egg sandwich
- Breakfast burrito
- Omelette with fresh veggies
- Egg in a hole
- Hard boiled egg and toast
- Sassy Frittata
- Egg scramble w/ any ingredient you can find (challenge!)
That was without me even trying! So you don’t like eggs? First of all, get over that ya weirdo. Second of all, no problem-o! We’ve got tons of other options for all you ovophobics. Side note- did you know that Alfred Hitchcock had a fear of eggs? Funny, huh? Anynoodles, here are seven non-egg breakfast items that should whet any whistle!
- Biscuits and gravy
- Fancy French toast
- Pancakes w/ bananas and blueberries
- Waffles (Aug 24 was National Waffle Day!)
- Corned beef hash
- Apple cinnamon oatmeal
- Half a grapefruit (I’ve heard this is a thing?)
Look at all these options I’m giving you, and I haven’t even done any research on Pinterest yet. Please explain to me, all you breakfast-skippers, why on earth you would skip an opportunity to eat fresh fruit or a whole grain piece of toast with honey or a bagel and a schmear?! Geez Louise. Now I’m getting upset that I already had breakfast, because I want to eat it all over again just for the love of the game. So now you’re probably saying, “But Chloe, I have no time in the morning, I work SO EARLY and SO MUCH and I also pay TAXES!” Okay the last part is unrelated, but you know what I’m getting at with it. Okay, okay! Here we have some hand-holds and on-the-gos to appease your AM timing issues:
- English muffin with a slice of tomato
- Banana, apple or other hand fruit
- Granola bar
- Egg muffins
- Peanut butter pita
- Yogurt cup and almonds
- Breakfast smoothies
Look at that. Between egg, egg-free and on-the-go ideas, you have at least 21 (somewhat healthy) options for your breakfast today, tomorrow and all the days after that. And like I said, I didn’t even try that hard to come up with them. Ugh. I should really be a breakfast consulate or ambassador. So please, PLEASE stop making me angry and just eat your breakfast! You’ll be more awake, healthier and people will be jealous of your sassy morning meals.
What are your excuses for skipping breakfast?