If you’re anything like me, the last thing you want to eat on a cold winter’s day is salad. Unfortunately, my pants seem to be shrinking by the day, so I thought I would share an awesome recipe.
This watercress salad is stunningly beautiful, full of flavor, textures and good for you. What more can you ask for? The watercress gives the salad body and a nice peppery bite, celery makes it refreshing, chickpeas are soft and full of protein, almonds supply the crunch factor and pomegranate seeds are just amazing!
Watercress Salad with Chickpeas and Pomegranate Seeds
Yield 4-6 Servings
Active time: 20 minutes
Start to finish: 20 minutes
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the bias
1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate, see note below
Feta Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- In large salad bowl, toss together the celery, watercress and chickpeas.
- Dress with just enough feta vinaigrette to lightly coat. Place the salad on chilled plates.
- Top each serving with a sprinkling of almonds and pomegranate seeds.
Note: The best way to remove the seeds from a pomegranate is to cut in half and place it in a bowl of water. Use your fingers to gently loosen the seeds from the pith without bursting them. The seeds will sink to the bottom, making it easy to gather them, and you will not get sprayed with any juice.
Another way to get the seeds out is to cut the pomegranate in half around the equator, hold the flat side in your hand over a bowl, then smack the rounded side with a heavy spoon. The seeds fall right out into the bowl!
*Disclaimer – Don’t wear white clothing while doing this.
Yield: 1 cup
Active time: 15 minutes
Start to finish time: 15 minutes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 shallot, minced
1/3 to 1/2 extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh dill, rough chopped
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the vinegar and shallot in a medium size bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking quickly to form a temporary emulsion.
- Stir in the honey, dill and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.